Sunday, June 23, 2013

McCalls 6700 - Bloom!

I got this fabric in a mystery bundle from FabricMart.  I love me some mystery bundles.  Sometime they are bad...oh so bad, but then you get a gem like this out of nowhere!  This reminds me of the fabric I used for my Colette Macaron.

Colette Macaron

I'm a sucker for panelled prints and I love the bright flowers on the black background.  So I got three panels of this polyester knit.  In all honesty, it's a big rough.  There are some flawed color patches which at first I thought were dirt but they did not come out in the wash.  Hence, a bad dye job or a machine malfunction.  Despite that, I wanted to use this for this dress.

The panels were a bit too narrow for the skirt so my skirt is a little smaller width wise, no biggie.  And to make the bodice, I had to cut everything out in single layer to get it too fit.  I didn't even have enough fabric for the little ties that it's supposed to have.

I thought I would be smart and put clear elastic along the neckline to stabilize it because this was pretty flimsy.  Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.  If I make this again, I will just leave it alone.

I do really like the gathered shoulder seams and the neck has decent coverage.  I did have to tweak it a bit though but I always do.  I made an 18 in the body and a 16 in the shoulders.  Still working on that extra weight that I've added.  I could have easily made it a size smaller though, it's generous.

I'm actually really happy with this dress.  It's a very nice pattern and I could see myself making it again this summer.



11 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! This looks great on you! That fabric is gorgeous, too. I can see why you wanted to use it. Beautiful dress!

Amanda S. said...

Pretty! Love the fabric choice and placement! I love panel prints too but can't always come up with a way to use them. Guess I need to look into making a maxi dress.

HeathersSphere said...

Ooooooh la love! You look fantastic in this stunner of a dress! Awesome work on this. :-)

Candice said...

This dress is fantastic,love the print!

Unknown said...

Perfect fabric for that dress! You exemplify "summer" and look awesome!

Lisa said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the print, and how you placed it on the dress. You look stunning!

becki-c said...

Love it! the way you used the prints truly makes a gorgeous dress!

Sarah C said...

This dress is on my must sew next month list! I love that print on you! It is perfect for the dress. Mystery bundles are one of my favorite things from Fabric Mart!

marysews said...

I love the happy colors!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Oh how pretty is this dress! I love it and it looks fantastic on you!

SewCraftyChemist said...

This is crazy awesome!